Monday, January 8, 2007

Another Milestone?

When I ask my neighbors around Columbus Square if they can remember when ground was broken for the new Recreation Center at 12th & Wharton Streets, I always get the same response. They look puzzled, scratch their heads for a moment, and then say, "You know, I really can't remember for sure." Yes, it's been going on that long.

I can't remember for sure either. Was it the fall of 2005? Or 2004? My guess is 2005 - at least I remember the foundation having been finished and sitting all winter under the snow. And that was probably last winter.

So we're now into the second winter of our discontent about this project, which means it's been going on for well over a year - at least. And what have we got? An eyesore, a trash magnet, a vandalism target, an excellent example of urban blight, courtesy of the City of Philadelphia itself. The City's official construction sign, proudly touting this as "Another Milestone in Philadelphia's Progess" is now graffitied over. One graffiti writer has aptly tagged this project "Left for Dead."

It began - back whenever it was - with the demolition of what was a heavily used basketball court. After the new building was more or less up by last summer - at least there was a roof over walls - they then demolished the old (ca. 1960s) recreation center on 12th Street, as well as the dog run and the tot lot. What remains of the tot lot is now inaccessible behind fencing. At least the demolition and cleanup didn't take very long. But there's nothing new there to replace what we've lost.

Because I live down the street from this project, I see it - in its barely changing ugliness - every day. I don't know the contractor who's responsible for this project. But there's one thing I'll bet you: whereever he lives, he wouldn't like to look at something like this every day he walks out his front door.

In future postings, I'll monitor work on this project, and provide photos documenting progress - or lack thereof.

2 comments:

psb said...

Well considering I live directly across the street from this monstrosity, today January 10th there was some kind of workman, maybe even workmen working their briefly apparently inside. One was to wonder if they'll return to tomorrow or a month from now.

DWWebber said...

Thank you, PSB, for that update. There has been work going on from time to time over the past week, which is consistent with what I've been told about the efforts to complete it by May, as I described in my blog today, 1/17/07.